Map Data Technician / Cartographer (f/m/d) United Kingdom
Cambridge / remote, United Kingdom
As Map Data Technician / Cartographer (f/m/d) you are part of our Outdooractive UK team working remotely/from home around our office hub in Cambridge. Help us to build Europe’s best outdoor map, by creating and delivering the best interactive digital maps for outdoor activity in the UK and be responsible for the continuous improvement of our geodata. This role coordinates closely with our in-house Cartography department based at our HQ in the Allgaeu mountains, Germany.
Your new job at Outdooractive entails
- You will be responsible for the continuous improvement of our geodata infrastructure and the generation of new geodata in the UK, and integrating this into our digital platform.
- You will process geodata (e.g. OSM, Harvey Maps, Ordnance Survey) as well as data from external data suppliers and update the data for our own maps.
- You will evaluate and process vector and raster geodata.
- You will identify potential partner organizations who can supply data to improve our maps.
- You will engage with potential partner organizations to source data.
- You will negotiate with potential partner organizations to agree license terms.
- You will ensure that geodata is processed and integrated into the Outdooractive platform in a consistent and high quality manner.
- You will test, quality check, and improve all UK geodata and maps.
- You will attend meetings, community events, trade show events etc..
- You will work closely with and at times under the supervision of our Cartography department and Director of Cartography based at our headquarters in Germany.
What Outdooractive expects from you
- You have a successfully completed a degree in geoinformatics, surveying, cartography, or a similarly relevant subject (or you have the equivalent practical working experience).
- You have good knowledge of effective data management and the principles of digital cartography.
- You are confident in handling geodata (PostgreSQL / PostGIS, Python, QGIS) and in the structured communication of results (Git / GitLab).
- You have practical experience in dealing with programming and geodata.
- You are familiar with Open Data and OpenStreetMap.
- You are detail-oriented and effective in implementing pragmatic solutions.
- You can work independently and can work effectively as part of a remote team.
- You will be capable and confident to identify, approach, and create strong working relationships with potential data partners.
- You have a high passion for outdoor sports (especially hiking, mountain biking, or trail running) and innovative technologies.
What Outdooractive offers
Become part of Outdooractive
We are looking forward to your compelling application (cover letter, CV, references) stating your earliest possible date of availability and your salary expectations.
Marcel Faulhaber, HR
Missener Straße 18